Thursday 3 July 2014

Patreon and sketches!

A friend of mine told me about a website called Patreon. If any of you are artists and are wanting to share your work (for a donation) feel free to check it out. People can donate whatever amount they want to help you, the artist, create more work. It's kind of like Kickstarter only it's with small, regular projects rather than a big one. If you want to have a look mine is at http://www.patreon.com/nanimations. Anyway onto the blog.

So it's been a pretty busy week. Graduation's just round the corner and I thought I'd do some sketches to distract myself from IMPENDING DOOM! If only it was that dramatic...

First off, I thought I'd do a bit more pose sketching. I do it a lot so try not to get sick of the pose sketches. I figure you can never stop learning and it's always interesting seeing new poses. I've never drawn a character from this angle before so it was quite interesting to try. I'm quite liking it so I may try a few more dramatic shots with a similar angle.



I've been having a look through all of my old work. It took me quite a while to look through and personally critique it but I've learned a lot. It's weird seeing all of your old work. Especially when you're comparing it to the new stuff. You see how far you've came in not only a short amount of time but you dig up work from years ago. It's amazing what you can learn over the years!

It also makes me appreciate everyone that's helped me along the way. From my parents, to teachers at school and online critiques, I've developed my own style and I'm truly happy about this. Not so long ago I was able to copy any drawing style but I was never comfortable enough to try my own. Now I think I'm developing it, still got a long way to go but I'm getting there. Every little step counts.

So this next drawing is just a quick character design I created. I realised that I tend to draw a lot of single characters so I thought I'd try two boys this time. Yes that's a boy on the right! I wanted to make him look a bit girlier than I usually do. I've been reading a manga that explores friendship between two male best friends and it inspired me to create this. 


It's also a bit of experimentation. Another friend of mine is helping me get better with my colouring so hopefully in a few years I'll have something completely original that I'm happy with. Can't wait! Anyway that's enough text for now so I'll keep sketching and post another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment