Wednesday 23 July 2014

Work experience is fun!

There is an incredible amount of freedom during this work experience. Lately I've been working on a specific game so I haven't had much freedom on the topic but style is entirely up to me. I think I'll explain my progress a little (be prepared for more drawings than usual).

I got this work experience due to my 2D honours project. The guys from Zapcoder loved my hand drawn backgrounds and then asked me to come in and do some work for them. Personally I was very proud of them. I've never properly experimented with backgrounds so it was interesting to test this out. Also, I know that most big 2D companies (ie Studio Ghibli) draw their backgrounds so I thought I'd test this out with my project. It also meant I was able to figure out what I could and couldn't do when I went into the industry.


The company requested that I drew parliament for the upcoming game on Scottish Independence. I'd never drawn a background on a graphics program so I thought this would be great reason for experimentation. Plus it'd save the hassle of deciding what to draw! They liked this style so much that they asked for more, which I was very pleased with. Not bad for my first ever background on the computer!



For the past couple of days I've been working on something for the Ryder Cup. I'm getting more confident with buildings so I thought I'd challenge myself again and add a proper environment to this. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I'm now getting used to backgrounds so I was experimenting more with the colours for the grass. 


It's lovely being able to draw in my own style, something I completely didn't expect. Being at my work experience has definitely motivated me into learning more about drawing and is actually inspiring me! I've spent the past couple of hours looking up different kinds of backgrounds to draw, something I always hated doing before. I'm really glad I got this opportunity as I'm able to expand my drawing skills and gain some contacts along the way. Not to mention I'm thoroughly enjoying their company! They make work so fun, it's actually hard to stop drawing at the end of the day and relax. I hope that I can stay there for a while and I definitely plan on making the most of this opportunity. Be prepared for a lot of work to be posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment